With the temperatures slowly warming up, we tend to spend more time outdoors with our furry friends. Walking in the neighborhood park, spending time in our personal course or hiking in the forest with Pitou increases the risk of exposure to ticks. It is therefore important to be well prepared for the tick season in order to prevent certain complications.
But what is a tick?
A tick is a small creature that is very resilient and resistant to pesticides. It feeds on blood from different animals (humans, dogs, cats, mice, deer, etc.). Thus, they are at risk of catching and transmitting several different diseases (including Lyme disease that we often hear about, but that's not all!) which could have serious consequences for us and our dogs.
Where are ticks found?
Unfortunately, they can be found everywhere :( However, they are mainly found in the forests of Quebec, in tall grass and even in the lawn.
As the good old saying goes, prevention is better than cure!
There are several ways to prevent ticks and the complications they could cause. Here are 5 NATURAL and safe solutions for your dog:
- Promote a healthy lifestyle so that your dog has a strong immune system: A healthy dog will be less likely to have complications when exposed to disease. We therefore suggest that you give high quality food and nutritional supplements to ensure that your dog has everything he needs to function well. Finally, a probiotic treatment is also ideal for boosting the intestinal flora at this time of the year. To see our probiotics, it's here.
- Inspect your dog every day and when you return from your walks outside. This solution is probably the most important. Indeed, ticks can take several hours before transmitting a disease to your dog. Thus, by frequently inspecting your dog, you DRASTICALLY reduce the risk of disease transmission. To do this, you can use a fine-toothed comb or even a sticky roller (to remove hair from clothes). Warning! Don't forget to look in less obvious places, ticks seem to like to hide there! Ex. under the ears, at the base of the tail, the armpits, between the toes, etc.
- Use a 100% natural solution to repel ticks (and other insects like fleas and mosquitoes) before going outside At Animaluxe, we LOVE AnimasoinBio products, they are made with 100% ingredients % natural here in Quebec and used across Canada by professional groomers. The Unwanted Lotion helps prevent the presence of fleas, ticks, skin parasites and yeasts. It contains andiroba oil, neem & essential oils. We must apply it before going outside and hiking (Psst. We even use it for us hehe). The Les Undesirables Shampoo can also be used in synergy with the Lotion for better results!
- Adapt your environment to be less conducive to ticks. As mentioned earlier, ticks are usually found in woods and tall grass. It is therefore important to regularly pass the mower on your property, pick up leaves and branches and avoid piling wood near where your dog walks. You can also sprinkle the trees, bushes and lawn around the house with diatomaceous earth. This acts against ticks and is one of the most effective natural products on the market.
- Finally, dress your dog to limit access to ticks. Finally, it is possible to put a jumpsuit and boots on your dog in order to reduce the surface of exposure to ticks. It is also possible to cut stockings and put them on his legs for a more economical option. Be careful when it's very hot, this may not be the best solution, we don't want to create heatstroke!
Ticks are unfortunately part of our environment. There is, to date, no miracle solution to solve this problem. However, it is possible to take natural precautions to limit the risk of infections and complications. We wish you a great summer and beautiful hikes with your furry ones!